The CMAS Training System
The CMAS International Diving Certification system exists to enable divers who are trained in accordance with CMAS’ international training standards to have their certifications recognized worldwide.
CMAS IS A NON-PROFIT ASSOCIATIVE ORGANIZATION THAT IN EACH COUNTRY IS REPRESENTED BY A NATIONAL ORGANIZATION
In Portugal CMAS is represented by a technical structure called “CMAS Portugal” and is organized with members of three Technical Committees:
- Technical Committee for Recreational and Technical Diving
- Scientific Diving Committee
- Technical Committee for Diving in Apnea
The Portuguese Federation of Underwater Activities (FPAS) is the national institution that appoints the elected members of the three (3) Technical Committees of CMAS Portugal for portuguese representation in the international CMAS.
The Technical Committee of Recreational Diving of CMAS Portugal consists of a collective of CMAS Three Star instructors, up to a maximum of five (5) members elected and coordinated by a general secretary. Each committee also features a college of instructors consisting of all dive instructors One Star, Two Star and Three Star.
INTERNATIONAL TRAINING SYSTEM
The CMAS training system is assumed that anywhere in the world, a diver who receives instruction and training according to the international training standards of CMAS, is able to visit other places and be accepted as a diver with the competence and experience indicated in the CMAS certification he possesses. The CMAS International Diving Certification proves that its holder has received the training level corresponding to its certification.
This principle is applied at all levels of training and certification, from the One Star Diver (CMAS One Star Diver) to instructor instructors (CMAS Three Star Instructor).
The guiding technical documents are called “Standards”. For each training course there are two documents called “standard” and “program” that can be found on the CMAS International website (www.cmas.org) and on the CMAS Portugal website (www.cmasportugal.pt).
ADAPTATION OF INTERNATIONAL TRAINING STANDARDS
These training standards are minimum requirements and guidelines for carrying out training programs to obtain the various diving certifications. However, the CMAS certification system allows the technical committees of each nation to adapt the standards and programs according to the legislation in force in each country, geographical specificities, among other parameters.
In this way, the CMAS International Training System allows you to:
- The standards of the courses are adapted to the Portuguese reality.
- The instructor can create for each diver a career and individualized training according to personal needs and requirements.
- A CMAS diving school can develop an additional diving teaching and training model, cheap, intensive and adaptable duration, that meets the requirements of the diver.
- The costs associated with pedagogical content to support training are reduced, being attractive from a commercial point of view.
- Each country presents safety standards tailored to its reality, through the supervision of its qualified instructors.
- Develop a club model, with regular training of divers associated with the school, in order to obtain their diving certifications through a training and continuous training format.
CMAS DIVING CERTIFICATIONS
CMAS certifications are divided into three distinct areas, and in Portugal they are coordinated by the respective Technical Committees:
- Recreational and Technical Diving
- Scientific Diving
Each area is organized into three subcategories according to the level of certification and to whom it is intended:
|CERTIFICATION LEVEL||WHO IS INTENDED|
|Practitioners’ Courses||Diver / Practitioner|
|Specialties Courses||Divers with One, Two or Three Star certifications|
|Instructors and Instructors||Instructors|
1. PRACTITIONERS COURSES
Courses aimed at divers integrated in the career of practitioner:
- One Star Diver
- Two Star Diver
- Three Star Diver
2. SPECIALITY COURSES
Specialization area courses for divers. We can organize the specialties into 3 categories:
- Career specialties (mandatory for career progression).
- Isolated specialties (only with one level)
- Specialties that present various career levels.
3. INSTRUCTOR COURSES AND TRAINER OF INSTRUCTORS
Instructor training courses to train diving professionals qualified to teach courses to divers.